Breed: Shetland Sheepdog
Nationality: Great Britain
Weight (kg): 5 - 10
Size (cm): 34 - 40
Hair type: long, straight and rough
Color Standards: Sand, tricolor, blue merle, black and white, mahogany black.
Origin and History: This dog comes from the Shetland Islands, in the north of Scotland. It comes from the cross between the Scottish collie, spitz, Yakkie or Icelandic Yakin, the dog of the whalers of Greenland.
Personality: Active dog, alert, happy, with an easy character. He is affectionate, gentle, barker, intelligent, faithful, and enjoys exercise.
Health problem known: No health problem known to date.
Note: Must be brushed daily
• Collie eye abnormality, choroidal hypoplasia, coloboma (may lead to retinal detachment and blindness)
• Dysplasia (developmental anomaly) of the hip and elbow
Patellar dislocation (patella)
• von Willebrand disease
Predisposition to diseases
• Hypothyroidism (decreased hormone production by the thyroid gland)
• Dermatomyositis (inflammation of muscles and skin)
• Distichiasis (row of supernumerary eyelashes that point to the cornea)
• Corneal dystrophy (growth disorder)
• Kidney diseases
• AHMI (Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia)
• Cutaneous vesicular lupus erythematosus
• Idiopathic epilepsy (convulsions) (unknown cause)
• Biliary mucocele (bile retention pocket)
• PDA (persistence of ductus arteriosus)
• Dermatitis (inflammation of the skin) necrotizing superficial
• Tibial valgus (tibial malformation)
• Lateral dislocation of the superficial flexor tendon