Family: Molossoid type mastiff
Nationality: Great Britain
Weight (kg): 23 - 25
Size (cm): 43 - 40
Hair type: fine, short, smooth, tight
Origin and History: This race descends from the Epirus mastiffs, who were warrior dogs introduced into England by Phoenician sailors.
Personality: This dog is calm and affectionate who is devoted to their master. On the other hand, if they feel provoked, they can be aggressive towards other dogs.
Known health problem: Cataract, entropion, ectropion, dry eye, lengthening of the soft palate, heart disease, hypothyroidism, hip dysplasia, narrowing of the trachea.
Note: The shape of his body and breathing difficulties make exercise uncomfortable.
• Dysplasia (developmental anomaly) of the hip and elbow
Patellar dislocation (patella)
• Urine stones (urates)
• Anasarca (fatal generalized edema)
Predisposition to diseases
• Dystocia (difficulties during delivery)
• Brachycephalic complex (stenosis of the nostrils, soft palate elongation, tracheal hypoplasia, eversion of laryngeal saccules causing snoring, difficulty breathing and collapse)
• Distichiasis (row of supernumerary eyelashes that point to the cornea)
• Entropion (rolling eyelids inwards)
• Ectropion (rolling eyelids outwards)
• Cherry eye (externalization of the nictitating gland)
• Hypothyroidism (decreased hormone production by the thyroid gland)
• OCD (osteochondritis dissecans) of the knee
• KCS (keratoconjunctivitis sicca, dry eyes)
• Calculus (stones) urinary (cystine)
• Chronic superficial keratitis (inflammation of the cornea)
• Pododermatitis (foot infection)
• Pulmonary stenosis (narrowing of the pulmonary valve)
• Demodecie (infection of the skin by the parasite Demodex)
• Hiatal hernia (rupture of the diaphragm with passage of the abdominal organs in the thorax)
• Spina bifida (anomaly of development of the spinal cord)
• Urethral rectal fistula