Family : Molossoid type mastiff
Nationality: Great Britain
Weight (kg): 45 - 59
Size (cm): 61 - 69
Hair type: short and hard
Color Standards: Any tone of brindle, red or tan with black mask on the muzzle
Origin and History: This breed comes from a cross between a bulldog and a mastiff. It was created to keep large estates in the nineteenth century.
Personality: It is a protective dog who is affectionate and faithful to his masters. He is rather reserved with strangers and can be aggressive with other dogs.
Known health problems: Elbow and hip dysplasia, eye disorders, gastric torsion, heart disease.
Note: He has a very dominant temperament.
• Dysplasia (developmental anomaly) of the hip and elbow
• Progressive atrophy (degeneration) of the retina
Patellar dislocation (patella)
• Dysplasia (retinal developmental abnormality)
• Glomerulonephropathy (renal glomeruli and nephron disease)
• Cerebellar (cerebellum) ataxia (gaggle) with hydrocephalus (water in the brain)
Predisposition to diseases
• Entropion (rolling eyelids inwards)
• Hypothyroidism (decreased hormone production by the thyroid gland)
• Distichiasis (row of supernumerary eyelashes that point to the cornea)
• Ectropion (rolling eyelids outwards)
• OCD (osteochondritis dissecans)
• RLCC (rupture of the cranial cruciate ligament)
• Dilation / gastric torsion (stomach)
• Dilated cardiomyopathy (CMD, heart disease)
• Calculations (stones) urinary (cystines)
• Lymphoma (cancer of lymphocytes)
• Optic nerve hypoplasia
• Hyperosteal skull syndrome
• Oligodendroglial dysplasia (developmental abnormality)