Family: Small Molossoid
Weight (kg): 6.5 - 8
Size (cm): 25 - 28
Hair type: short, thin, soft and lustrous
Color Standards: Silver, Apricot, Black. Mask and ears are in jet black.
Origin and History: This breed comes from the Far East Mastiff. It was miniaturized at least 2400 years ago, and subsequently introduced in Holland in the 16th century.
Personality: A loving and sensitive little dog with a good character. Does not like being alone and doesn’t support children very well. Can also be reserved with strangers.
Known health issues: hip disorders, Legg-Perthes-Calvé, progressive atrophy of the retina, cataracts, entropion, dry eye, epilepsy and liver disease.
Note: Puppy becomes calmer as an adult.
Patellar dislocation (patella)
• Dysplasia (developmental anomaly) of the hip and elbow
• Aseptic necrosis (degeneration) of the femoral head
Predisposition to diseases
• Brachycephalic complex (stenosis of the nostrils, soft palate elongation, tracheal hypoplasia, eversion of laryngeal saccules causing snoring, difficulty breathing and collapse)
• Entropions (rolling eyelids inwards)
• Keratitis (inflammation of the cornea) by exposure (poor closing of the eyelids, wide palpebral opening)
• Hypothyroidism (decreased hormone production by the thyroid gland)
• Dermatitis (inflammation of the skin) allergic
• Mastocytoma (mast cell tumor)
• Portosystemic shunt (short circuit of the liver through the bloodstream)
• Diabetes mellitus