Family (group): Terriers
Weight (kg): dwarf: 4 - 5; Standard: 6.5 - 11.5
Size (cm): 13 - 25
Hair type: short or long
Color Standards: Various colors, but unwanted white marks for show dogs.
Origin and History: Ancient Egyptian sculptures show a Pharaoh surrounded by three short-legged dogs, perhaps ancestors of the current Dachshunds.
Personality: Active and determined.
Known Health Problem: Herniated Discs
Note: The standard variety targets badgers, foxes and dwarf rabbits.
Patellar dislocation (patella)
• Dysplasia (developmental anomaly) of the hip and elbow
• Aseptic necrosis (degeneration) of the femoral head
• Progressive atrophy (degeneration) of the retina
Predisposition to diseases
• Herniated disc
• Distichiasis (row of supernumerary eyelashes that point to the cornea)
• Corneal dystrophy (corneal opacity) (opacity of the cornea)
• Hypothyroidism (decreased hormone production by the thyroid gland)
• Mitral valve disease
• Keratitis (inflammation of the cornea)
• Alopecia (absences of hair) of diluted dress
• Urolithiasis (stones) urinary